Saturday, October 30, 2004

Alright, I'm going to have to start posting even if I don't have any knitting progress to show. I finally got off my butt and started accomplishing things for work this week, so I haven't had nearly as much time to knit. I also need to go back to the cuffs again on the gloves. Turns out I was right the first time on how to do the thumb. Grr. I'm knittig them out of "Fair Isle Gloves and Mittens" which has many beautiful patterns, but is not the most user-friendly book around. Each section (women's gloves, mittens for children, etc) has basic instructions at the beginning and then just charts and comments with each pattern. This seems like a great way to be efficient, but the gloves have some very different techniques used in them which are never explained. In this case, the difference was between an afterthought thumb and a gussetted thumb. At first I did it right, but then when I read the instructions more carefully I thought I was wrong and should wait to start the gusset. I'm still not entirely sure whether I increase during the gusset (rather than moving the repeated pattern after it over), but I think that's what she means when she adds boxes in the middle of the chart. That's what I'm trying this time, at any rate. I'm also going to give the Norwegian purl a shot. Up to now I've been using both hands when color knitting, but this seems like it would be very slick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home